A Brief History of Nazareth

The community of Hijas de Jesus in Manila was established on June 25, 1938. The foundation began with a chapel and the residence of the sisters. The first three sisters were Sisters Saturnina Herrero, Teresa Sanz and Isabel Libago. Initially, the ministry of the sisters began with a retreat house for women of the lower middle class who wanted to pursue meaningful spiritual exercises. After the World War II, the sisters sought to open the school. Due to the prevailing condition of the city after the war, the Archbishop of Manila agreed. The school officially started in July of 1947 with three classes: Kindergarten, Grade land Grade 2. There were 76 children enrolled during that first war.. In 1952, the whole elementary curriculum was completed.