• Print



      1845 May 31

Juana Josefa Cipitria y Barriola was born in the farmhouse of Berrospe, Andoain, Guipuzcoa, Spain,on the feast of Feast of Our Lady of Fair Love.







The artisan family of Cipitria y Barriola moved its residence to Tolosa, Guipuzcoa, Spain. Fr. Martin Barriola, the chaplain to the House of Mercy who became the first spiritual director of Juana Josefa. 










Lee-Congo 459   



Juana Josefa made the firm decision to consecrate herself to God: "I am for God alone”. 




4.Burgos Cathedral2   


She started working as a servant in the house of Mr. and Mrs. Sabater-Becerra in Burgos. In this city she sought for the first time spiritual direction from the priests of the Society of Jesus. First from Fr. Raymundo Sureda, SJ, Vice-Rector of the Minor Seminary and then, when he was transferred to another city, from Fr. Rafael San Juan SJ.











original photo of rosarillo     




After the revolution of September of this year, the Sabater-Becerra family transfered to Valladolid. She, as a part of the household service, moved to that city, too.








Fr. Herranz300   

   She sought spiritual direction from Fr. Miguel San Jose Herranz, SJ. He came to Valladolid because of the revolution; he lived with his family in Valladolid after having been expelled from the Major Seminary of Leon. 











original retablo  


1869 April 2                           

 Juana Josefa received the inspiration from the Bl. Virgin Mary to found a congregation named "Hijas de Jesus" for the education of children and youth". She received also received her spiritual name: Candida Maria de Jesus, before the altar of the Holy Family in the El Rosarillo Church.











6.Casa de San Jose   

 1871 December 8:

Foundation of the  Congregation of the Daughters of Jesus in Salamanca. Its specific mission: Christian education of children and youth. M. Candida and her first five companions started living as a community in the house named Casa de Jose, after St. Joseph, located at 2 Gibraltar St., Salamanca.















 They were conferred with this scapular by Fr. Herranz, and then he asked them to accept Mother Foundress as their Mother and lawful Superior.








10. Approval4     



1872 April 3

Diocesan approval of the first nucleus of the Constitutions by Msgr. Lluch y Garriga, Bishop of Salamanca. 














May 3: First Mass at the St. Joseph's house oratory. 


May 31: Fr. Herranz, SJ officiated at the first clothing ceremony of the Daughters of Jesus. 













August 27:

Fr. Herranz, SJ was transferred by order of his superiors to the Jesuit Residence of Vigo, Galicia Spain. Fr. Juan Bautista Bombardo, SJ, Rector of the Pontifical Seminary of Salamanca became the spiritual guide for the newly born Congregation.



1873 February:

Casa de la Concordia,  84 San Pablo St. The Sisters moved here as their new residence on February 1873, as well as to accommodate the new school, Colegio de la Purisima






November 26

Diocesan approval of the Rules on Government and the Ritual for the vows in the Congregation signed by Msr. Lluch y Garriga. 



December 8:

First vows taken in the Congregation in the presence of the Bishop of the Diocese. 


1874 January

The educational apostolate of the Daughters of Jesus began. Together with the ordinary school, a Sunday School for servant girls was also opened. 



The government of the First Republic expelled the Jesuits from Salamanca and sent them to Portugal. The Bishop of Salamanca assigned Fr. Antonio Garcia y Fernandez, Magistrate of the Cathedral, as the Director of the Congregation of the Daughters of Jesus. 


1875 January 20: 

The school in Peñaranda de Bracamonte, Salamanca was opened.


Msgr. Narciso Martinez Izquierdo succeeded Msgr. Lluch y Garriga in the Diocese of Salamanca. Fr. Antonio Almaraz was appointed Director of the Congregation of the Daughters of Jesus because Fr. Antonio Garcia was appointed Bishop of Zamora. 


8. Montellano     



1877 October 1:  

The Palace of Montillano, 8 Zamora St., Salamanca became the school “Colegio de la Inmaculada Concepcion”, as well as the Sisters’ residence after moving from La Casa de la Concordia. It became known as “Colegio de la Inmaculada” of Salamanca.









 9.Bishop Camara    

     1885 August 12

Fr. Tomas Camara y Castro, OSA took possession of the See of Salamanca as its new prelate. Fr. Ramon Barbera y Boada, General Procurator of the Diocese of Salamanca was appointed Director of the Congregation of the Daughters of Jesus.








11.Colegio de Sta Teresa Arevalo     


1886 September 8: Foundation of a new school in Arevalo, Avila: Colegio de Sta. Teresa 







 13.  Bernardos    

1887 September 29 

Foundation of the school in Bernardos, Sevogia. 







  Colegio de San Jose TolosaE   


1888 October 12:

Foundation of a new school, "Colegio de San Jose", in Tolosa, Guipuzcoa.







  SAcred Heart School SegoviaE   




1889 May 9

Inauguration of the school of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Segovia. 









1891 January 18

Inauguration of the school in El Espinar, Sevogia. 


1892 January 22: 

Fr. Tomas Camara y Castro approved the text of the Constitutions which had been amplified and completed. 



     Coca SegoviaE

1893 January 23

Foundation of the school in Coca, Segovia. 




1894 December 20: 

The first General Chapter of the Congregation was held in Salamanca. M. Candida Maria de Jesus was elected General Superior.


Court Medina del CampoE




The school in Medina del Campo, Valladolid was founded.






1896 August 22

Fr. Miguel San Jose Herranz, SJ died at the Jesuit Residence of Loyola, Azpeitia, Guipuzcoa.


17.Medina del Camp300o     



September 7:

Inauguration of the Pre-school in Medina del Campo, Valladolid. 






1899 July 18

Royal Order by which the Congregation of the Daughters of Jesus was civilly recognized. 



September 23

The Novices moved to the "Mostenses" building in Salamanca. 







November 21  

The Novitiate was solemnly inaugurated under the name of Novitiate of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. 



Leo XIIIE   



1901 July 30:  

Pontifical approval of the Congregation of the Daughters of Jesus by His Holiness, Pope Leo XIII. 



decree of approval july 1901








1902 August 30

Candida Maria de Jesus, accompanied by M. Angela Cipitria and Sr. Gabriela Hondet, left for Rome to defend the text of the Constitutions. 

September 18

Leo XIII approved the Constitutions of the Congregation "ad experimentum" (by way of experimentation) for three years. 

This experimental phase was prolonged through successive applications until 1911 when definitive approval was requested. 




1903 September 24

First perpetual vows taken in the Congregation. 


1905 September 24:  

Second General Chapter of the Congregation held at Salamanca. M. Candida Maria de Jesus was re-elected General. 





1909 October 24:

 Foundation of the school at Pitillas, Navarre.






 1911 December 8:

The Congregation of the Daughters of Jesus extends its apostolate to Brazil. The first school in this country was founded in Pireanopolis outside of Spain.




1912 March 12

Inauguration of the school of the "Imaculada Conceicao" in Mogi Mirim, Sao Paulo, Brazil. It was the last foundation made by Mother Candida. 




The second Novitiate of the Congregation was opened in Tolosa, Guipuzcoa. 


August 9M. Candida Maria de Jesus died in Salamanca. 


December 3Definitive approval of the Constitutions by Pope Pius X.






May 12, 1996:

Mother Foundress was beatified together with Bl. Maria Antonia Bandres in Rome by Pope St. John Paul II





October 17, 2010 : 

Canonization of St. Candida Maria de Jesus by Pope Benedict XVI at the Vatican Square


Pictures ( from SuperUser's Museum Collection, other Biographies of Mother Foundress and Texts from MF Letters Vol. I)